Paul From Minneapolis

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Polling problems at CNN today: “Will you watch Katie Couric anchor the ‘CBS Evening News’?”

First of all, the only options offered are “yes” and "no.” I would guess most people would fall somewhere else on this question: like “Leave me alone, I refuse to put any thought into this whatsoever."

But let’s break down the 77% coerced “no” response. What does it really mean? Who’s included in it? Possibilities:

No – I don’t watch TV.
No – Since you’re forcing me to answer, I’ll just say “no” to convey general resistance.

No - CBS is all fuzzy on my TV.
No – I watch Seinfeld at 6:30.
No – I watch another network.
No – I don’t watch news.
No – I hate women.
No – I hate Katie Couric, and it’s kind of a long story.

And that’s only scratching the surface. It’s just so hard to trust polls, when you dig into them.